Friday, January 4, 2013

New Year, New Ideas, New Possibilities Linky Party!

  Hi Everyone!
I'm so excited to be guest blogging here at Primary Possibilities.  We are having a
Let me introduce myself...
I am Cynthia Vautrot (pronounced Vo-tro...long o sounds).  I am a veteran teacher having taught 24 years.  I have taught kindergarten, first, and second grade.  My heart will probably always belong to kindergarten, but my body and stamina does much better in 2nd grade!  lol
 
Welcome to 2nd Grade Pad
 
I would like to discuss with you today some "old-school". 
 
Basically that of SPELLING!
 
It absolutely drives me bonkers the trend of the last several years of not teaching spelling in the traditional sense of the word!
 
So, this year, I decided...it's MY classroom and I'm putting spelling BACK IN!
 
After all, it's one of the Common Core Standards!
 
First, we started off the year with this cute craftivity I created.  (Who DOESN'T love them??)
 
 

 
I, personally, think it's time we teach students HOW to spell and WHY to spell a word a certain way.
 
Remember those rules you learned in school such as "i before e, except after c" and "when two vowels go walking, the first one does the talking?"
 
I think students NEED to know those rules to help with their spelling.
 
(If you don't believe me, just read a few posts on Facebook...AB.SO.LUT.ELY makes me cringe!!!)
 
 
In my room, we've made spelling FUN!
 
 
We posted this original poem (by me :-) with our craftivity.
 
 
The kids get so excited wondering when the Spelling Bee will visit. 
It keeps them on their toes (or at least using their best spelling! haha!)

When they get 5 positive cards, they get to turn them in for a trip to the treasure box.

Other ways that I have put spelling back into my room is by having a SPELLING Literacy Station.

The kiddos love going to this center because they know it will have some fun activities.

I am sharing one of these with you.  Maybe you'll decide to put "old-school" spelling back in your room as one of your NEW YEAR, NEW IDEAS, NEW POSSIBILITIES.


Just click on the picture to download your own free game to use for spelling words in your classroom.  If you like what you see, I would LOVE to have you become a follower!!!

You can also purchase my The Spelling Bee unit here.


I'm also offering all of you a special deal.  Just send me an e-mail to
with your TPT user name and that you purchased this unit. Then you can choose another item $5 or less for FREE!  Just let me know which one you would like, and I'll e-mail it to you.



 Thank you, Cynthia, for guest blogging for us today!!  If you head on over to Christina's Blog Bunting, Books, and Bainbridge, we are guest blogging over there!!  Just follow the links below and you will meet some of our "new friends" and really nice and innovative teachers!!  They all have "new ideas" and "new possibilities"!!
(Stephanie, Stephany, and Kathi)
Bunting Books and Bainbridge

19 comments:

  1. Thanks for hosting this wonderful blog hop! I just linked up and I can't wait to meet some new friends!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for linking up! I can't wait to spend some time checking everyone out!!!

      Delete
  2. I agree with More than Math by Mo! Thanks! This is really a lot of fun, and my first guest blogging experience! So excited to be linked up with you all!
    Hilary
    Second Grade is Out of This World!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for linking up! We are excited you are linking up too!! :)

      Delete
  3. I just linked up, I can't wait to check out everyone's blogs and posts!

    ~Diving Into Learning

    ReplyDelete
  4. After some technical difficulty (more like operator difficulty), I got all of the kinks worked out!! Thanks for putting this together. You guys did a great job.

    Karen
    LittleSecond-GradeSomebodies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Glad you got it worked out! Thank you so much for linking up!!!

      Delete
  5. Thanks so much for hosting and coordinating! I'm looking forward to reading everyone's awesome ideas!!

    Angela :)
    Hippo Hooray for Second Grade!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just linked up! Thank you so much for coordinating this! I can't wait to see the amazing-ness that is about to happen!

    Mathematically yours,
    :) Jamie
    MissMathDork!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for linking up Jamie! It has been fun getting this together!

      Delete
  7. Thank you so much for organizing this!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for signing up! Hope everyone finds someh new ideas and blogging buddies!!!

      Delete
  8. Thank you for coordinating, and hosting this Blog Hop. It's been a great experience! I look forward to visiting all of the wonderful Blogs linked up. Have a great weekend!

    Danielle - Crayonbox Learning

    ReplyDelete
  9. What great ideas you shared about word work using real and nonsense words. It is always great to get "new ideas" to use in the classroom. Thank you for hosting such a fantastic linky party. I am glad that I am a part of it!!
    Crystal
    Ms. Jones’ Junction

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much for hosting such a great guest blogging exchange linkie party. I know a lot of hard work went into organizing all of this!

    Jennifer
    Elementary School Garden

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just linked up:)
    Thanks for all your hard work!

    Tammy
    The Resourceful Apple

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the freebie! I am setting up a new word work center and this will be perfect. We have spelling lists that go with the weekly phonics lessons; However, what I find is that most students can memorize the list for a spelling test, but then can't spell the words in their everyday writing. So frustrating! I love you ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This was a brilliant idea - I loved it and I got so many great ideas that I want to try in the classroom. I hope you DO make it a regular thing. What a wonderful way to get teaching inspiration. Thanks so much for organizing it.
    Lynn
    http://funinthefours.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete